Have a hoverboard gathering dust? No where to use it outdoors in the winter weather? We have an event for you! Saturday March 10, 2018 from 4:30-6:30pm we will have only hoverboards on the floor, no skating. Admission is $10 per person.
Yes, roller skating is a wonderful social activity for young and old and almost anyone can learn to roller skate with a few classes and/or lessons. But the true value of roller skating is within you. Whether you are looking to meet new friends, provide family fun for your kids or get in shape for the new year, roller skating at Orbit Skate Center in Palatine IL has a public skate or class for you.
When you roller skate you affect almost every area of your body:
- Mentally, you are reducing stress and releasing endorphins that provide enjoyment.
- Musically, you can’t help but sing along, bouncing and leaning into the beat that helps you focus on something other than your feet which actually helps you roller skate better.
- Physically, roller skating provides a fantastic way to burn up to 600 calories per hours and uses over 80% of your body’s muscles, toning and strengthening for that lean strong body.
- Socially, roller skating and participating in public skating sessions at a roller rink can open your eyes to new friends that share a common interest. Skaters are unique, welcoming and you could find yourself in an entirely new social network!
Roller skating can be enjoyed all year-long at your local roller rink. When the weather is too hot, too cold, too rainy or too whatever, you can always find a place indoors to roller skate.
Want to make big changes in your life in 2018? Think about roller skating as your new go to sport and your local rink your go to place for fun, friends and fitness!
Parents all want the best for their children, that’s a fact. Childhood obesity is something every parent is and should be concerned with in this age of electronics both on a desktop and in their child’s hands. Children seem glued to electronic games and they use them wherever they are, at home, school and in the car. Trying to engage a child in a meaningful conversation without the interference of electronic devices can be a challenge for any parent. Add to the fact that families are trying to make ends meet by working a part-time job on top of a full-time job, finding affordable family fun that includes exercise is yet another challenge.
How can we help our children become healthy happy adults that do not battle obesity as adults starts when they are young. Engaging in activities that are active as well as interactive can make a lifelong road to health easier and more fun not to mention drawing the family closer together. Roller skating can help! Check out these facts below from the Center for Disease Control:
Childhood Obesity and Child Wellbeing
Childhood obesity has immediate and long-term impacts on physical, social, and emotional health. For example:
- Children with obesity are at higher risk for having other chronic health conditions and diseases that impact physical health, such as asthma, sleep apnea, bone and joint problems, type 2 diabetes, and risk factors for heart disease.4, 5, 15-17
- Children with obesity are bullied and teased more than their normal weight peers,18 and are more likely to suffer from social isolation, depression, and lower self-esteem.19
- In the long term, childhood obesity also is associated with having obesity as an adult,23 which is linked to serious conditions and diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and several types of cancer.24–25
Scary isn’t it?
Roller skating is an activity that can be enjoyed by all ages from children as young as 18 months to adults ages 65+. Roller rinks are great places for children to form friendships and have the entire family enjoy the visits. It is proven that if a child skates twice a week their overall health will improve, their social skills dealing with peers are enhanced and they become more confident in themselves. At Orbit Skate Center in Palatine Illinois we have seen children and adults lose as much as 100 pounds just by roller skating and having fun. The music played is current and makes you want to get moving. Making the roller rink a destination for the family fun a couple times a week means they will enjoy family time together, not glued to a television or game console and you will create memories for your children that last a lifetime.
It is said by many that roller skating is a ‘retro’ sport from the past but we disagree! Roller skating should be at the forefront of any other sport due to the fact that you learn the most important skill of balance. Even standing still on skates takes balance and that balance carries forward to all other sports like soccer, gymnastics, lacrosse and bicycling. A child that learns to be truly balanced learns every other sport more easily. Learn to skate at Orbit Skate Center on Saturdays from 12pm – 1pm for only $5.00 including skates.
Affordable family fun and a road to healthy living is as close as your local roller rink. Make it your destination this week!
Grab your skates out of your trunk and get to the rink! What a great place to store skates until you need them right? Not. Why won’t my wheels turn? There seems to be a grinding noise in my wheel, what’s wrong? The boots on my skates are growing mold, eww, now what?
All true statements from skaters over the years and I’m sure there’s plenty more. One year I caught a skater in the parking lot who was liberally spraying his wheels with WD40 and thought he could come in a skate on them. Said the wheels wouldn’t turn right and he ‘always’ did that. Shuddering at the thought of all that lubricant spraying out onto our clean floor, I quickly offered to help him in the pro shop.
So if WD40 isn’t the answer what is? Well, a yearly visit to the pro shop is in order or do the process at home at least once a year depending on how often you skate. First, do NOT store your skates in your trunk. The heat and moisture will destroy your skates. After a fun skating session at the rink, take them indoors and let them dry in the open air. Don’t leave them in a case or bag.
Bearings, yes there’s 2 in each wheel of your skates. They are much like the bearings used in the popular fidget spinners that the kids are nuts about these days. They are what makes your wheels turn and if they are rusted, dried out, full of sand and hair (We’ve pulled literally hair balls out of bearings and from around the axles) they will not continue to offer you great fun when you are skating! Each bearing needs to be removed a couple times a year, cleaned and lubricated. Axles need to be cleaned and after a few times removing your wheels, need new lock nuts to keep the wheels from spinning off out on the rink.
Toe stops are needed on your skates to either protect the wood skating surfaces so many roller rinks have (skating heaven) or you use them to stop and jump. Make sure you have some and there’s no metal showing through and they are tight and secure.
Check your cushions (bushings to some folks) to make sure they aren’t cracked and dried out. These are what enable the skate trucks to rock and roll so you can edge easily and make your ride so smooth.
Lastly, check your wheels to see if they need rotating, much like your car. This makes the wheels wear evenly since most skaters don’t push equally on all four wheels. We can look at your wheels and tell you how you skate!
So there you have it. Roller skate maintenance in a nutshell. You can do this at home or bring your skates into Orbit Skate Center in Palatine for $25 we will check them over, clean and repack your bearings and give you advice on any other repairs that are necessary. Have fun roller skating and know your roll is the best they can be!
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 Orbit Skate Center experienced a storm that included rain blowing directly at the back of the building and in through the exit doors at the north end and south end of the building. While the north end was concrete and able to be mopped up, the staff struggled to keep water from going under the floor at the south end to no avail.
Water damage to a wood skating floor is catastrophic and unfortunately had a door blown open or a hole in the roof occurred, apparently it would have been covered but this loss is not covered by West Bend Insurance Company.
The rain blew in through the spaces around the emergency doors that were installed to our Village fire codes and cannot be made to be totally waterproof. This is the first time this has happened in 25 years.
For close to 45 years, this roller rink with it’s amazing rotunda wood floor has delighted families, children, schools and organizations with the best in roller skating fun. We have helped numerous organizations and schools raise money and now we need your help to get the work done to preserve the floor for generations to come.
We need the money quickly to get the floor refinished before the start of the school year. The rink will have to be closed for a week to facilitate this work. The company, from Tennessee has to bring in large riding sanders to take off all the floor coating and then restripe and recoat the floor. ServPro will be running huge dehumidifiers to remove the remaining moisture out of the floor.
No matter where we have traveled to people have heard about the Orbit. They’ve skated there, had parties there, took lessons or classes and some folks even bring their grandchildren to skate where they grew up.
It would be heartbreaking to lose this iconic facility that has brought smiles to so many. We do not have the money to do this work ourselves.
Please choose one of our donation packages and help us keep Orbit Skate Center the wonderful, family place that it has been for so long. Thank you for your support. Click here to help donate please!
If you have ever visited Orbit Skate Center in Palatine, IL, or any rink for that matter, you know that roller skating is one of those things that’s hard to stop once you’ve started. Even though this activity can be addicting, for many people on the outside looking in, roller skating might seem intimidating. You might think “feet are not meant to have wheels attached to them,” but once those skates hit the rink, you’ll never want to take them off. If you have a friend or family member that is on the fence, or you, yourself are feeling iffy about starting your roller skating journey, this is the blog for you. Here are 7 reasons to for anyone to start roller skating TODAY.
- Great Exercise – Roller skating is recommended by the American Heart Association as a great aerobic activity. Skating around the rink for just 30 minutes can burn as much as 250 calories, and can help strengthen muscles.
- Meet New People – With one visit to the rink you will quickly realize that this is a very close-knit community. Roller skating builds lasting friendships and some people have even met significant others in the rink!
- You Can Skate Whenever You Want – The rink doesn’t have to be open to enjoy a skating session. If you want to skate when the rink is closed, just head out the front door and find the nearest patch of smooth concrete or a solid surface.
- Low-Impact – Roller skating provides the same benefits of jogging but is much easier on the joints. So if you have a knee injury, roller skating won’t irritate the issue.
- The Music is Great – Are you a music buff? You won’t find better music outside of a roller rink! Contact your local rink and find out their schedule. Most play a wide array of different music on different nights.
- Fun Way to Manage Stress – Do hectic schedules and looming deadlines have you feeling frazzled. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress! And when your friends are there, it makes it that much more relaxing.
- Family Fun – Roller skating is fun for EVERYONE. The rink is a very family friendly place to be, and an inexpensive night out.
Plan your next visit to Orbit and check out our hours. Take the plunge and start roller skating this week!
What kind of roller skates to buy is a common question at our Skate Shop inside Orbit Skate Center in Palatine Illinois. While rental skates are good to use until you are sure you want to invest in skates, owning your own skates makes a huge difference in how fast you progress. Just like any sport whether it’s skiing, bowling or tennis; having your own equipment gives you a consistent experience that allows you to focus on practicing your skills and not just how the skates are performing this week.
Here’s a list of things to consider when shopping for roller skates for yourself or your child:
- Have you taken a few classes or lessons to determine if this is a sport you want to get serious about? Just like any sport that takes practice, roller skating is no different. There are many types of roller skating and you can try different kinds of skates during the class i.e. quad or traditional roller skates or inline skates sometimes called Rollerblades. With regular roller skates you can get low boots sometimes called speed boots or higher boots sometimes called artistic or R&B boots. It’s important to know what kind of skating you wish to pursue to determine what kind of skates you need.
- Roller skates, quad or inline quality fall into about 3 price points. Skaters normally only buy one or two pairs of skates during their lifetime if their feet are finished growing. Growing feet will require more pairs over the years. Parents can spend about $59.95 to get decent skates for their children. Adult skates start at about $100. The investment you make into your roller skates really pays off with the quality and enjoyment you will have while wearing them! Tell your skate shop expert how often you plan on skating, that makes a difference too.
- When considering purchasing roller skates, you want skates that are comfortable and roll well. The boots should have about 1/4 – 1/2 inch at the front for your toes and should not feel pinched or pressing on the front of your foot. Leather boots absorb perspiration and help keep your feet dry and happy. The plate that is mounted to the boot should have moveable trucks, the mechanism that allows the skate to change edges and cushions that provide a soft to a firm ride depending on your level of skating. Skate plates are made of many materials from nylon, aircraft aluminum, and cast metal. Wheels come in different hardness and determine the grip or lack of on the floor. R&B skaters for instance want harder wheels so they can slide during moves and turns. Speed skaters want softer wheels so they have good grip when taking the turns. It’s really all about you!
- Bearings are a part of every roller skate, each wheel having 2. Bearings determine how far you roll for the same amount of effort. Bearings are priced by the quality of materials and precision of manufacturing.
The best place to buy roller skates is at your local roller rink that has a well stocked pro shop. Not only can you check out multiple types and makes of roller skates, most shops inside rinks let you try your skates before y0u buy them. Orbit Skate Center’s Skate Shop offers a reward card for any skates purchased for over $100 that includes 7 free admissions totalling up to $57.50 in free admissions!
Spend some time perusing different roller skates and rely on your skate shop experts that can guide you to the right pair of roller skates or inline skates for you and your entire family. Roller Skating is a lifetime of fun and fitness and having the correct skates for your ability and budget is important!
National Roller Skating Month is every October, proclaimed by President Reagan in 1982 roller skating endorsed by the American Heart Association and the President’s Council on Fitness as a great way to get in shape and have fun doing it. Roller Skating has so many good things to offer people of all ages. It is a social activity and promotes a healthy lifestyle. Unlike gyms, roller skating brings people together doing something they enjoy. Using 80% of the bodies muscles, roller skating is a low impact all over toning calorie burning monster! Keep moving and you can burn up to 600 calories per hour, not only that but it’s the only sport you can burn calories standing still because being on roller skates takes balance. The entire time you are standing on roller skates your body is going through subtle balancing movements to keep you upright.
Orbit Skate Center is a member of the Roller Skating Association and has been for 42 years. The theme of National Roller Skating Month 2015 is from the Rink to the Rings featuring Chad Hedrick, 52x World Champion Inline Speed Skating Champion and 5x Olympic Medalist. He is the most winning speed skate of all time and he started out roller skating! His father owned roller rinks in Texas and Chad started skating as a child. Many of today’s Olympians started out roller skating. The balance and coordination you learn when you roller skate enhances every other sport from baseball to football.
Watch for our specials this month celebrating National Roller Skating Month, use the hashtag #NRSM and show us your roller skating photos taken this month at Orbit Skate Center or your local skating rink!
How fun that Halloween falls on a Saturday this year, allowing us to have a real party instead of asking you to get dressed up more than once just to come to a party. Course, getting dressed up is part of the fun but all that makeup! We decided to try a nighttime party after Trick or Treat hours so everyone can come have fun doing games like the Mummy Wrap and others we aren’t saying here. We hope you’ll join us for our Spooky Skate at Orbit Skate Center, we’ll be dressing up and hope you do too!
Adults that come for the 7-10pm skating session can stay until 1am for the same Admission fee of $8.50. Skate rental is just $3.00. It’s the best entertainment value around!