This article was posted to the Roller Skating Association’s web page a while back illustrating the comparisons between roller skating and other sports. Not surprisingly roller skating came out way ahead of some sports that parent’s think are safe for their children. We thought you would like to know the statistics of various sports and what the benefits of roller skating are. Orbit Skate Center is a member of KidsSkateFree.com, a nationwide initiative to get kids roller skating twice a week to help fight childhood obesity. The After School Club, a community based 501(c)3 that is at Orbit Skate Center has seen first hand what happens when children grades K-8 skate on a regular basis, becoming more active and healthy along with building muscle and stamina.
Roller Skating Infographic – It’s all in the facts!
By Lynette Anacker
May 28, 2015
The President’s Council for Physical Fitness and the American Heart Association both know that roller skating is an excellent form of aerobic activity for all ages, but did you know that…
- Roller skating for just 30 minutes produces a heart rate of at least 148 beats per minute
- The average person can burn up to 600 calories with just one hour of vigorous roller skating at 10 miles per hour
- Roller skating causes 50% less stress to joints than running
But what’s even more…roller skating is safer than many activities your kids participate in at school!
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, roller skating is…
- 2x safer than school playgrounds
- 3x safer than football or baseball
- 4x safer than basketball
- 5x safer than riding a bicycle
Check out the below infographic outlining the fun facts and figures all about roller skating and feel free to share with your local schools, friends and family.