Bring the family and skate to support the Boy and Girl Scouts! Admission is only $6.00 including skate rental on Thursday, April 20th 6:30p – 8:30p.
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 Orbit Skate Center experienced a storm that included rain blowing directly at the back of the building and in through the exit doors at the north end and south end of the building. While the north end was concrete and able to be mopped up, the staff struggled to keep water from going under the floor at the south end to no avail.
Water damage to a wood skating floor is catastrophic and unfortunately had a door blown open or a hole in the roof occurred, apparently it would have been covered but this loss is not covered by West Bend Insurance Company.
The rain blew in through the spaces around the emergency doors that were installed to our Village fire codes and cannot be made to be totally waterproof. This is the first time this has happened in 25 years.
For close to 45 years, this roller rink with it’s amazing rotunda wood floor has delighted families, children, schools and organizations with the best in roller skating fun. We have helped numerous organizations and schools raise money and now we need your help to get the work done to preserve the floor for generations to come.
We need the money quickly to get the floor refinished before the start of the school year. The rink will have to be closed for a week to facilitate this work. The company, from Tennessee has to bring in large riding sanders to take off all the floor coating and then restripe and recoat the floor. ServPro will be running huge dehumidifiers to remove the remaining moisture out of the floor.
No matter where we have traveled to people have heard about the Orbit. They’ve skated there, had parties there, took lessons or classes and some folks even bring their grandchildren to skate where they grew up.
It would be heartbreaking to lose this iconic facility that has brought smiles to so many. We do not have the money to do this work ourselves.
Please choose one of our donation packages and help us keep Orbit Skate Center the wonderful, family place that it has been for so long. Thank you for your support. Click here to help donate please!
If you have ever visited Orbit Skate Center in Palatine, IL, or any rink for that matter, you know that roller skating is one of those things that’s hard to stop once you’ve started. Even though this activity can be addicting, for many people on the outside looking in, roller skating might seem intimidating. You might think “feet are not meant to have wheels attached to them,” but once those skates hit the rink, you’ll never want to take them off. If you have a friend or family member that is on the fence, or you, yourself are feeling iffy about starting your roller skating journey, this is the blog for you. Here are 7 reasons to for anyone to start roller skating TODAY.
- Great Exercise – Roller skating is recommended by the American Heart Association as a great aerobic activity. Skating around the rink for just 30 minutes can burn as much as 250 calories, and can help strengthen muscles.
- Meet New People – With one visit to the rink you will quickly realize that this is a very close-knit community. Roller skating builds lasting friendships and some people have even met significant others in the rink!
- You Can Skate Whenever You Want – The rink doesn’t have to be open to enjoy a skating session. If you want to skate when the rink is closed, just head out the front door and find the nearest patch of smooth concrete or a solid surface.
- Low-Impact – Roller skating provides the same benefits of jogging but is much easier on the joints. So if you have a knee injury, roller skating won’t irritate the issue.
- The Music is Great – Are you a music buff? You won’t find better music outside of a roller rink! Contact your local rink and find out their schedule. Most play a wide array of different music on different nights.
- Fun Way to Manage Stress – Do hectic schedules and looming deadlines have you feeling frazzled. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress! And when your friends are there, it makes it that much more relaxing.
- Family Fun – Roller skating is fun for EVERYONE. The rink is a very family friendly place to be, and an inexpensive night out.
Plan your next visit to Orbit and check out our hours. Take the plunge and start roller skating this week!
What kind of roller skates to buy is a common question at our Skate Shop inside Orbit Skate Center in Palatine Illinois. While rental skates are good to use until you are sure you want to invest in skates, owning your own skates makes a huge difference in how fast you progress. Just like any sport whether it’s skiing, bowling or tennis; having your own equipment gives you a consistent experience that allows you to focus on practicing your skills and not just how the skates are performing this week.
Here’s a list of things to consider when shopping for roller skates for yourself or your child:
- Have you taken a few classes or lessons to determine if this is a sport you want to get serious about? Just like any sport that takes practice, roller skating is no different. There are many types of roller skating and you can try different kinds of skates during the class i.e. quad or traditional roller skates or inline skates sometimes called Rollerblades. With regular roller skates you can get low boots sometimes called speed boots or higher boots sometimes called artistic or R&B boots. It’s important to know what kind of skating you wish to pursue to determine what kind of skates you need.
- Roller skates, quad or inline quality fall into about 3 price points. Skaters normally only buy one or two pairs of skates during their lifetime if their feet are finished growing. Growing feet will require more pairs over the years. Parents can spend about $59.95 to get decent skates for their children. Adult skates start at about $100. The investment you make into your roller skates really pays off with the quality and enjoyment you will have while wearing them! Tell your skate shop expert how often you plan on skating, that makes a difference too.
- When considering purchasing roller skates, you want skates that are comfortable and roll well. The boots should have about 1/4 – 1/2 inch at the front for your toes and should not feel pinched or pressing on the front of your foot. Leather boots absorb perspiration and help keep your feet dry and happy. The plate that is mounted to the boot should have moveable trucks, the mechanism that allows the skate to change edges and cushions that provide a soft to a firm ride depending on your level of skating. Skate plates are made of many materials from nylon, aircraft aluminum, and cast metal. Wheels come in different hardness and determine the grip or lack of on the floor. R&B skaters for instance want harder wheels so they can slide during moves and turns. Speed skaters want softer wheels so they have good grip when taking the turns. It’s really all about you!
- Bearings are a part of every roller skate, each wheel having 2. Bearings determine how far you roll for the same amount of effort. Bearings are priced by the quality of materials and precision of manufacturing.
The best place to buy roller skates is at your local roller rink that has a well stocked pro shop. Not only can you check out multiple types and makes of roller skates, most shops inside rinks let you try your skates before y0u buy them. Orbit Skate Center’s Skate Shop offers a reward card for any skates purchased for over $100 that includes 7 free admissions totalling up to $57.50 in free admissions!
Spend some time perusing different roller skates and rely on your skate shop experts that can guide you to the right pair of roller skates or inline skates for you and your entire family. Roller Skating is a lifetime of fun and fitness and having the correct skates for your ability and budget is important!
National Roller Skating Month is every October, proclaimed by President Reagan in 1982 roller skating endorsed by the American Heart Association and the President’s Council on Fitness as a great way to get in shape and have fun doing it. Roller Skating has so many good things to offer people of all ages. It is a social activity and promotes a healthy lifestyle. Unlike gyms, roller skating brings people together doing something they enjoy. Using 80% of the bodies muscles, roller skating is a low impact all over toning calorie burning monster! Keep moving and you can burn up to 600 calories per hour, not only that but it’s the only sport you can burn calories standing still because being on roller skates takes balance. The entire time you are standing on roller skates your body is going through subtle balancing movements to keep you upright.
Orbit Skate Center is a member of the Roller Skating Association and has been for 42 years. The theme of National Roller Skating Month 2015 is from the Rink to the Rings featuring Chad Hedrick, 52x World Champion Inline Speed Skating Champion and 5x Olympic Medalist. He is the most winning speed skate of all time and he started out roller skating! His father owned roller rinks in Texas and Chad started skating as a child. Many of today’s Olympians started out roller skating. The balance and coordination you learn when you roller skate enhances every other sport from baseball to football.
Watch for our specials this month celebrating National Roller Skating Month, use the hashtag #NRSM and show us your roller skating photos taken this month at Orbit Skate Center or your local skating rink!
How fun that Halloween falls on a Saturday this year, allowing us to have a real party instead of asking you to get dressed up more than once just to come to a party. Course, getting dressed up is part of the fun but all that makeup! We decided to try a nighttime party after Trick or Treat hours so everyone can come have fun doing games like the Mummy Wrap and others we aren’t saying here. We hope you’ll join us for our Spooky Skate at Orbit Skate Center, we’ll be dressing up and hope you do too!
Adults that come for the 7-10pm skating session can stay until 1am for the same Admission fee of $8.50. Skate rental is just $3.00. It’s the best entertainment value around!
Kids Skate Free Reaches 1/2 Million Milestone
June 18, 2015 – released by the Roller Skating Association International
The Roller Skating Association International, the official voice of the roller skating industry, is thrilled to announce that in just three months since acquiring Kids Skate Free, a milestone record has been reached – 1/2 million kids have now registered to receive two free roller skating passes weekly for their participating home rink.
To celebrate this milestone, the 500,000th child registered, Cobey Greer who registered at Skatin’ Station in Canton, MI, will be receiving a prize pack valued at more than $500, which will include roller skates and other incredible prizes donated by Pepsi, Southeastern Skate Supply, Rebecca’s Toys and Novelties, Riedell Skates, Roller Bones and more.
The Kids Skate Free program, acquired in March of 2015, encourages children to stay active and fit by offering them two opportunities every week to visit their local participating roller skating rink. RSA President, Robert Bentley, is thrilled with the program and its ability to spread the joy and benefits of roller skating to families around the globe. A rink owner himself, Bentley launched the program in all four of his rinks and was blown away by the response. “In today’s era of technology and with a mounting concern of childhood obesity, the Roller Skating Association is committed to health and fitness by encouraging member roller skating rinks to offer free passes through the KidsSkateFree.com program. I signed up all four of my rinks immediately and already have thousands of parents who have registered their children – a true testament to the power of this program. It’s a win for parent’s wallets, children’s health, and roller skating.”
A few fun facts about roller skating:
Parents who wish to participate may visit www.kidsskatefree.com and click on their state to begin finding their participating roller skating rink and register to receive free passes. If your local roller skating rink does not participate in the program, the RSA encourages parents to notify the rink that they would like them to participate in the program by downloading the letter available at www.kidsskatefree.com and providing to their local rink.
Sources: American Heart Association, Consumer Product Safety Commission, and studies done by the Human Performance Laboratory – St. Cloud State University in Minnesota, University of Wisconsin Medical School, and the University of Massachusetts.
Orbit Skate Center is excited to announce the 2nd annual WSA Skates for Change March 13th and 14th. The World Skating Association is bringing the best jam skaters from all over the country including BreakSk8, the best skate crew in the world! Everyone is invited to this event, the teams will be teaching, performing and we have a great line up of events for this weekend (not to mention the St. Pat’s Party!). Friday Night we will be open from 7pm – Midnight for $10 Admission and $3 skate rental, enjoy learning from the Pro’s as they perform and teach. A Jam Battle will be held, pitting the best against the best. They set up with some very cool apparel too for sale and will be giving away skates from Riedell Skate Company and Vanilla Skate Company.
Saturday, March 14th there is a Meet the Pro’s Clinic from 5pm – 7pm with the Pros! Clinic fee of $15 includes the 7pm – 10pm skating session! Meet the members of BreakSk8, Team members from Riedell and Vanilla!
We have lots of roller skating Winter Break fun schedule for this holiday season. Starting on Monday, December 22nd and all the way through January 2nd we have public skating almost every day! Celebrate Hannukah and Christmas on skates! Besides having awesome gifts like skates for any age and stocking stuffers in the Fun Shop, our Cosmic Cafe offers homemade pizza that we’ve been told is better than most pizza places among other food choices and the Galaxy SkyBar open for adults to enjoy a favorite brew. Our morning sessions are great for the 12&under families and siblings while our afternoon skating sessions are great for all ages. Our music is always tailored to our audiences and we play many requests. Life is great when you skate, grab your skates and get to the rink!
Have plans for New Years Eve? We have 2 parties to choose from and you can read about them more here. Online tickets are on sale now!
Ever watch an accomplished roller skater out on the rink floor and wish you could skate as well as they do? Wonder where those mad skating skills come from? Roller Skating is a lifelong sport that has been an American Tradition for many years for a reason!
Roller skating is a sport that is enjoyed by all ages and abilities. Using 80% of the bodies muscles, it is perhaps the only exercise that burns calories while standing still and up to 500 calories an hour while having fun that doesn’t even feel like exercise. Skating to music teaches rhythm and grace. If taught while a child is young, it plays in the development of inner ear balance and stability along with coordination. Children as young as 18 months can learn to skate and the social skills acquired by being in a social environment has a positive impact on children of all ages. This article on the Roller Skating Association‘s page referenced the many benefits of roller skating as a sport.
One of the things I notice working with children during our After School Club as well as our skating classes and open sessions is how well-adjusted and social kids become when placed in an environment that is not only healthy but constantly moving to music, voices, smiles and a variety of people from different backgrounds and cultures. Orbit Skate Center is fortunate that we have the opportunity to learn from so many of our guests and at any given time you can hear multiple languages and notice cultural differences, a true melding of people who come together to have fun.
Owning your own skates makes learning to skate so much easier, just like having your own equipment for any sport. Our Skate Shop offers great skates at affordable prices and each pair of skates purchased comes with a Reward Card good for 7 free admissions to help you learn to skate even faster! Practice truly makes perfect in the sport of roller skating.
Orbit Skate Center is part of a nationwide program called KidsSkateFree.com. This is a free program for parents with children 14&under to facilitate roller skating twice a week for free at your local participating roller rink. Visit the KidsSkateFree.com website and sign up for Orbit’s program and you will receive 2 free skate passes each week until your child reaches the age of 15. There’s no catch, nothing to do but sign up and enjoy the benefits. You can use the passes on just about any open session, excluding Saturday nights and special events like New Years Eve family parties.
Allowing your child to experience roller skating and spending time at our skating rink will bring a lifetime of joy and a love of healthful living. While we as parents cannot supervise our children everywhere they go, but be assured that all our smallest guests are supervised while they are at Orbit Skate Center.