Let’s talk about the health benefits of roller skating. Ranked among the best aerobic exercises according to the American Heart Association and the President’s Council on Physical Fitness, roller skating is a workout that involves almost all of the body’s muscles and in particular the heart. The National Institute for Fitness and Sports claims that roller skating works most of the major muscle groups including your glutes, quads, abdomen, calves and arms. The American Heart Association proclaims that roller skating is equivalent to bicycling and jogging as a cardio workout. Burn up to 600 calories an hour and even burn calories while standing still on your skates makes roller skating even better as a workout that brings healthy benefits. But even more than the health benefits of roller skating, there’s other aspects of the sport that make you want to keep going (remember how long the gym membership went after you quit going but still had to pay?). Roller skating is just plain fun. Music videos that feature roller skating like Jessica Simpson music video “A Public Affair” singing and skating, without missing a beat and the infamous Evian Water Roller Skating Babies commercial that went viral several years ago.
If you want to learn to roller skate, Orbit Skate Center offers classes and lessons for ages and abilities. Check out our list of classes and decide which one is the best fit for you and your family members. No matter your age, if you can walk, you can learn to roller skate.
If we haven’t told you enough yet, here’s a few more facts to convince you:
- Roller skating lowers impact to your joints by 50% over running!
- Roller skating is 2x as safe as bicycling!
- Roller skating is great for your mental well-being, when is the last time you saw a person frowning while they were having fun roller skating?
- Roller skating is the original social network. Fitness gyms don’t even come close to the fun of roller skating, meeting new friends and spending time with family.
- Roller skating is an enduring sport that has been around since 1743 during a London stage performance, the National Museum of Roller Skating in Lincoln Nebraska has lots of information on the history of roller skating.
We invite you to come to the Orbit Skate Center and experience the best roller skating facility in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. We look forward to seeing you and your family here soon!