Orbit Skate Center celebrates Mardi Gras each year with a party! Enjoy a large balloon drop, mask contest and roller skating fun. Special 21+ drink offerings in the Galaxy Skybar and great food selections from the Cosmic Cafe. This is one of our most popular events. This year, Saturday February 25th 7-10pm is for all ages and adults 17+ can stay until 1am for the same admission price. Admission is $8.50 and skate rental is $4.00 if needed. This is the 3rd year we’ve had the Mardi Gras Party and every year gets bigger and better. We’ve seen some spectacular masks each year! Beads abound when you walk in, we have some for you so bring the family and friends and celebrate the best Mardi Gras Party on 8 Wheels!
- Quest Church begins services on 1/8/17 at 9am every Sunday for members and new members. This is a great fit for Orbit Skate Center because Quest Church is an open, welcoming non-denominational congregation for families and individuals. Come as you are, even Pastor Ed is in blue jeans! Live music brings a special element to the services and participants can stay and roller skate the 11a-3p open skating session afterwards for a special price!
- We hope that our local schools will take advantage of our new STEM field trips for elementary and middle schools. Taught during the day, $12 per student includes an hour STEM program on a variety of subjects relating to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math built around roller skating, rink design, sound, and the math principles that bring these exciting subjects to life and allows students in hands on activities to show how everyday life relates.
- Our new Saturday lineup of classes on 4 levels, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Adults only classes bring the love of roller skating to new visitors allowing for a lifetime of fitness.
- That our mission to provide excellence in after school care for our local Palatine CCSD 15 school district continues to grow. We hope that we are able to give families a chance to enjoy their family time together instead of trying to get homework done they are able to sit down to dinner and spend time having fun. The After School Club is open to all children grades K-8 and we offer very affordable care including transportation and healthy snacks along with really fun activities. Enrollment is always open and new students begin all the time!
- We hope and pray that roller skating continues to be a sustainable, family centered activity and enough skaters come to Orbit Skate Center to keep it the landmark destination it has been for 42 years. With all the challenges of doing business in Cook County, it has been very difficult to keep going and we all hope for a better 2017!
Have a great year and Happy New Year to all of you from all of us.
Are you unsure of what to get a favorite teacher for Christmas? Or how about that hard-to-buy-for cousin, niece or nephew? Or the name you drew for the gift exchange?
Why not consider giving the gift of exercise in such a fantastic atmosphere they won’t even realize they are exercising?
At Orbit Skate Center in Palatine Illinois, the gift of skating in the form of gift cards can be used all year long, is great for people of all ages, and unlike many gift cards, doesn’t expire and can be recharged. According to the Roller Skating Association (May 2015), roller skating is an excellent form of aerobic activity for all ages, and also:
- Roller skating for just 30 minutes produces a heart rate of at least 148 beats per minute.
- The average person can burn up to 600 calories with just one hour of vigorous roller skating at 10 miles per hour.
- Roller skating causes 50% less stress to joints than running.
And according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, roller skating is:
- 2x safer than school playgrounds
- 3x safer than football or baseball
- 4x safer than basketball
- 5x safer than riding a bicycle
Best of all, Orbit Skate Center is currently having their annual gift card sale! During the sale, $30 gift cards are only $25 ($5 free!) and $60 gift cards are only $50 ($10 free!). Gift cards can be used for admission or skate rental, the gift cards can be used the cards anywhere in the rink—Cosmic Café, game room, or Galaxy Skybar. Combine gift cards group rates, or sign up for our newsletter to get BOGO offers to help your gift stretch even farther!
So before you finish that shopping list, stop by Orbit Skate Center, in Palatine and purchase your gift cards today!
Do you want to encourage your kids to get off the couch, put down the phone, and get some exercise? And how about a great opportunity for them to socialize and have fun?
Look no further! Here are 10 Reasons to go to Orbit this winter:
1) EXERCISE. Rollerskating is great exercise, especially for core strength, balance, and hand-eye coordination. And you can burn 600 calories per hour!
2) PEOPLE. Orbit is a great place to socialize with other people who enjoy skating, and with the friendly Orbit staff!
3) SAFETY. There are referees on the floor to keep kids safe, and protective gear is available, if you want a little extra padding!
4) LEARNING. If you don’t know how to skate, there are classes on Saturday morning, followed by an open session, so you can practice what you have learned! “Rolling Skate Mate Trainers” are available to rent for $5 if you are just getting started.
5) AFFORDABLE. We have competitive prices for admission and skate rental, and if you need a little help paying for sessions, sign up for the “kidsskatefree.com” program, or look for a groupon! And if you sign up for our newsletter at orbitskate.net, you’ll receive periodic BOGO admission offers!
6) PARENTS. Parents can also skate, or they can sit and watch while enjoying the free wi-fi, the bar, and the great music!
7) PIZZA. Wednesday night is Family Pizza Night! The whole family can skate and enjoy a free slice of pizza and a soda!
8) MOBILE MOVES. Where else can you enjoy a giant dance floor while rolling around on wheels?
9) MICHAEL JACKSON. SANTA SKATE. COSMIC SKATE. LADIES NIGHT. There are lots of special events at Orbit, so be sure and check our calendar at our website orbitskate.net!
10) GOOD CLEAN FUN! At Orbit Skate Center, there are always plenty of activities going on – a snack bar, a game room, and plenty of skates to rent – and it’s always a fun place to escape the weather. It’s the ultimate winter play date!
The winter holidays fall on weekends this year, both Christmas Eve and Hanukkah start on the same night. We are going to be closed on Saturday, December 24th so our employees can enjoy time with their families but we are opening on Sunday night, December 25th from 7p-10p for Santa’s last hurrah. This was a great event last year after all the presents are opened and eating all day people were so glad to come out and skate with family and friends. We’ll play a mix of music, not all holiday music (we’ve been hearing that since before Thanksgiving, geese). Here’s our schedule for Winter Break at Orbit Skate Center including our Santa Skate on Dec. 10th and daily 1p-4p weekday skating during winter break.
Every year we celebrate Thanksgiving Break with added public sessions for our families and friends. We are so thankful for all our customers, we are offering a special rate of $5 Admission on each 1-4pm session from Monday, November 21 – Friday, November 25. We are closed for the Thanksgiving Holiday so our employees can enjoy time with their families. People of all ages can enjoy roller skating, it’s easy to learn and we have rolling skate mate trainers for just $5 for the entire session! We have free protective gear by the skate counter or bring your own. Roller skating burns up to 600 calories per hour, sort of important during the holiday that we eat the most food! Bring your kids, your guests and even the in-laws for a great time during Thanksgiving Break!
Every October we celebrate National Roller Skating Month at Orbit Skate Center. For 2016 we are going to flood the internet and social media sites with great photos and videos of roller skating and the hashtag #myskatemoves. Bring your camera, smartphone and help roller skating by showing your best moves and posting them to your favorite site like Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram and more! We’ll be open Friday October 14th 7p-11p for #myskatemoves. Admission is just $8.50 per person and $4 skate rental.
National Roller Skating Month’s Newest Campaign Wants You to “Show Your Moves” This October
Indianapolis, IN (July 20, 2016) – The Roller Skating Association International encourages kids to become physically fit and active 365 days a year. This year’s theme is encouraging kids to get active and show their moves in the rink. #mysk8moves is a movement aimed at reminding kids that a healthy lifestyle and physical fitness can still be fun. This October member skating rinks will be hosting month-long events celebrating the health benefits and entertainment that roller skating provides while highlighting all the fun that can be had.
America’s favorite pastime, roller skating, is a way to show your individuality in the form of movement. Are you a jam skater? Shuffle skater? Speed Skater? What are your moves? Roller Skating gives kids the opportunity to socialize, get active, and have fun in a safe environment.
The RSA wants people to know that roller skating is one of the few activities that provides a complete aerobic workout for over 640 of the body’s muscles – especially the heart. Families, kids, and teens are encouraged to dedicate themselves to achieving an active lifestyle. To find your nearest skating rink, please go to www.rollerskating.org and click on Locator.
Roller Skating has long held the support of The President’s Challenge Program and Let’s Move Program with the mission of keeping kids active and healthy in a safe environment. The President’s Challenge is a program that encourages all Americans to make being active an important part of their everyday lives. No matter what your activity or fitness level, The President’s Challenge Program can help motivate you to improve. For more information, please visit www.presidentschallenge.org or call 1-800-258-8146. Let’s Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by the First Lady, dedicated to solving the problem of obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams. For more information visit http://www.letsmove.gov.
The 2016 National Roller Skating Month campaign is sponsored by: Pepsi, JBL Trinity Group and Kids Skate Free and is supported by the Let’s Move Program and the President’s Challenge Program.
The Roller Skating Association (RSA) is a trade association that serves commercial (for-profit) skating center owner/operators. It also serves those involved in various facets of the roller related industry such as teachers, coaches, manufacturers, distributors and other elements of the family entertainment industry. It seeks to promote the success of our members through education and advancing the roller skating business.
For more information about the Roller Skating Association International, please contact: Jim McMahon, Executive Director, at 317-347-2626 Ext. 104 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents loved our Tiny Tots session last year and it’s back! Every Saturday 9am-11am is for our youngest children 10 and under and their families. The best time to get children comfortable on roller skates is when they are very young. We have toddlers age 15 months that love to roller skate. Roller skating is a great sport for young children because it teaches balance which is needed for almost all sports later in life. Many Olympians like Chad Hedrick, Tara Lipinski and Apolo Ohno started roller skating as children. Our program allows children to skate, play, dance, run and have fun out on our floor. Parents are allowed on the floor in gym shoes and strollers with babies are free. Come join us each Saturday and watch your child explore not only the rink floor and play with our toys but learn to roller skate in a relaxed and fun fashion while listening to the best in Mom approved music!
The American College of Sports Medicine has deemed September as National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month. Statistics show that approximately 20 to 30% children in the United States are overweight. Read this article here…
We want the best for our children and one solution to the obesity problem is to ramp up their level of physical activity with something they love to do. This is where roller skating can play a big part in their weekly activity level and help foster a love of exercise. Roller skating provides not only cardio workouts but can burn up to 600 calories per hour. Skating to their favorite songs and videos adds to the mix and before too long, they are too busy having fun to realize they are actually exercising.
Roller Skating is endorsed American Heart Association and the President’s Council on Fitness. While we might be a bit biased, we have seen amazing things happen when parents bring their children to skate twice a week. They slim down and tone up. They develop balance skills that carry forward into any sport they play in the future and when you consider that most ice skating Olympians like Chad Hedrick and Apolo Ohno along with Tara Lipinski started out roller skating shows us what a benefit the sport of roller skating is to so many.
KidsSkateFree.com is a nationwide program that offers free roller skating twice a week for free. Orbit Skate Center was one of the first roller rinks to jump on this program because we believe that healthy, fit and happy kids do better in school and enjoy a lifetime of fitness. Registration is free, just click here to join kidsskatefree.com and get your kids rolling into good health and a healthy weight.